Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bon Me, Please.

It's true, I did go to the Food Truck extravaganza at the Boston City Hall Plaza last week as promised. Whoa! I've been savoring the flavors for the past week, and now it's time to write about the adventure. So here it goes...
Despite the size of the huge, enormous, vast brick plaza...the food trucks were wedged into a tiny pocket of the brick courtyard. I was expecting a large to-do right on Cambridge Street. Maybe they were temporarily moved because of the circus tent set up in the middle of the plaza, but that's irrelevant. Despite their cramped quarters, and the drizzly, cold weather, the three food trucks parked almost on top of each other were creating a circus of their own. As mentioned before, three trucks earned the rights to prime spots for the upcoming warm weather season. Momogoose, Clover (who actually got in by default) and Bon Me are the crew staking their territory in Boston's endeavor to create a food truck culture. I would like to note that Bon Me is the only truck that served its first meals last week, as the other two trucks have been in business for a while. Needless to say, I'd been hearing a lot about Bon Me, and I was excited.

Yes, Wednesday was cold. Our gaggle of three eaters arrived by bike with frosty fingers. Brrr. It did not help that the food trucks were tucked into a dark and shady corner, but all thoughts of physical discomfort dissipated as we approached the bright yellow Bon Me Truck to discern the menu.

I had heard things straight from the source...they buy local produce, the pork liver for the pate comes from Jen and Pete's Backyard Birds, and they even source non-food items from local vendors. And they make Bahn Mi Vietnamese Sandwiches, possibly the staple food of my graduate school education. Not only do they make Bahn Mi, but for those less interested in a good sammy, they also make noodle and rice bowls.

I will also admit that we were so SO excited to order and eat from Bon Me that I neglected to take any photos of the beautiful food. That aside, the food was delicious, savory, flavorful and quickly scarfed down by three hungry ladies. I ordered the Chicken Bahn Mi. Hello yum. First off, it was amazing to feel comfortable ordering a meat product from a truck. I usually resort to ordering a tofu Bahn Mi in Chinatown because I like to know where my meat comes from. And it was so good to know that this chicken sandwich would be from a reliable source...and delicious. My compatriots ordered the BBQ pork Bahn Mi and the Tofu and Mushroom Rice Bowl and the Spice Dusted Sweet Potatoes. I wanted to eat all of it, all of it.

To begin, my Bahn Mi came with an option for white or whole wheat baguette. How's that for a healthy choice? I picked white bread, but I am sure the whole wheat would have been delicious too. What could be bad about a french baguette, spread with rich pork pate, spicy homemade mayo,
perfectly grilled chicken, pickled vegetables and cilantro? It was delicious, a perfect mingling of flavors, each one distinguishable on my tongue to make fireworks. At six dollars a piece (for each of their menu items in fact) it's a reasonable price for a meal that you can trust and savor.

I can't wait to go back in warmer weather, try something new and sit on the warm bricks of the courtyard and soak in more Bon Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment