Friday, December 23, 2011

Eating: Yours & Mine

I try my absolute darnedest to not let this evolve into a food blog.

There is no need for another diary of what I ate, beautiful pictures of freshly prepared meals dancing with sunlight, or how to recipes. I have nothing against these blogs, in fact I enjoy them significantly. This is where I find aesthetic inspiration for a new ingredient, or that just perfect dish, cookie, tart, preserve, pickle or home brew in my imagination that someone else has, undoubtedly, already created. My favorites, Darcy over at the Garden of Eden, The Traveler's Lunchbox & Delicious Days. I love the pretty pictures, the recipe and the personal narrative all in one place. I don't want to do this, mostly because there is no way I can do it as well as others. And I don't think anyone wants to hear my shopping list or eating list for the week.

But sometimes, just sometimes, there is so much goodness in family, food and celebrations that it's too hard to resist sharing all the good things we're going to eat. This is not to say that overwhelming abundance occurs only once a year. In our tiny household of two cooks and a dog we tend to eat like royalty, albeit on a peasants budget. but I'll spare you all the stories about pickled beets, rendered duck fat and the dynamo pickled relish inspired by Miss Polly. To me, sharing these stories feels too much like writing in my middle-school diary for all to see. Regardless, we just wrote a list, and it looks something like this...

Friday - Caviar & Oysters
Saturday - Duck & Scallops
Sunday - Standing Rib Roast
Monday - Leftovers
Tuesday - Buffalo Burgers
Wednesday - Chicken

Friends, this is triple the amount of meat I eat in one year (ok, maybe not so if you include cured meats) packed into less than one week. And these meaty labels are just placeholders to whole, entire, actual meals. I haven't been clued into the recipe pile yet, so I don't know what we are actually cooking, but do far I have heard dishes such as stuffed cabbage, lettuce wraps, molded marzipan cookies, homemade bagels, latkes, brussels sprouts and homemade honey dinner rolls bandied about the house and the car ride to the grocery store.

I will say this, as our family carpool scurries out of the house. The caviar and oysters on the list tonight is a cooking class. The daughter of a family friend invited my mom and I to join her and her mom for a cooking class highlighting oysters and caviar. I am not sure what cooking is involved, but if it means shucking and snacking (and possibly savoring some fermented sweets) I couldn't say no. More to come after the "class"...


1 comment: